The community hall was built by public subscription and completed in 1897. It was the final step of the local
late Victorian religious revival that had built the church in 1871, Garth Row School in 1874, and the vicarage
in 1876. Dances and ‘socials’, improvement classes and Sunday school,
indoor sports and games such as badminton, births, weddings, funeral teas, public meetings and elections all
served to bring people together and give the hall a special place in the hearts of our scattered community.
It continues to be the only public meeting place in the parishes of Skelsmergh and Scalthwaiterigg.
Skelsmergh Community Hall Management Trust was founded in 2002, and since then it has stabilised and developed
both the fabric and the use of the hall. Activities such as carpet bowls, table tennis and a reading group have
brought in new people, who in turn have greatly invigorated the fundraising social events such as dinners,
BBQs and dances, coffee mornings, ceilidhs and concerts. A major refurbishment of the hall was undetaken in
2008 with the aim of creating a ‘zero carbon footprint’ centre and a modern, warm, well-used hall to serve the
people of our parish and the wider South Lakeland community for a second hundred years.
The hall invites bookings for a range of events such as wedding receptions, club meetings, and sports days.
For further information and booking go to the Hall
The Community Hall hosts several user groups, including the Bowls Club and Mothers and Toddlers. For
information on these groups go the the Hall website.
- Meet the Men on the Memorial: an exhibition in the Community Hall about the
25 men from Skelsmergh, Scalthwaiterigg, and Patton who died in the First World War on 8-9 November.